Thursday, June 20, 2013

The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater



Amazing!  Maggie Stiefvater is one of my absolute favorite authors.  I've loved her from the day I first read the Scorpio Races and read through all of her Shiver series.  She truly has magic of her own when she creates a new story and this series thus far is no exception. 

Blue is from an eccentric family with a mother who is a psychic and a household of women with the same gift.  Never a dull moment in that household and it's easy to get swept up in Blue's life especially when she's told from day one that she will surely kill her first love with just a kiss.  Makes your first date look puny in comparison.  Then bring in the  guys from Aglionby, a private school for boys in the area also known as the Raven boys...blue blooded, rich, and yes even arrogant trio of lads and you have a ride you will never forget.

You can't help but fall in love with the ringleader of the Raven boys.  Gansey is the epitome of social grace but at the same time has an infinite love for things that need fixed.  Look at Ronan for example, one of his closest friends who has lost his father and is quickly spiraling out of control. Then there is Adam. He comes from a lower class family and fights his way with his intelligence to get into the all exclusive private school.  Adam's character was harder for me swallow.  He deals with so much resentment and even jealousy that I found myself feeling even worse for him than I do Ronan who deals with a great deal of baggage himself.  Lastly there's Noah, their resident....well actually, I'll leave you to figure that out.  Let's just say there's a secret where Noah is concerned. 
Blue gives the male crew a run for their money and soon becomes one of them.  The group quickly gets drawn up into Gansey's life as he searches for the mysterious ley line and tries to discover how to awaken it in order to wake up a mythical king.

In essence, this book kept me reading from page one.  I simply could not put it down. 
Thank you Maggie Stiefvater, for yet another amazing read.  I look forward to the second book!  

Amazon Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors