Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Santa Wore Combat Boots by Barbara Witek



Reviewed by: Sabrina

Rating: ****

Synopsis:

Emma Turner feels like her life ended with the death of her husband. Three years later she’s doing the best she can for her children and moving through life on autopilot. She doesn’t believe true love can happen twice in a lifetime. As a matter of fact, she doesn’t believe in much anymore. Putting her trust in one honest man might be just what she needs to move forward.

Bound by duty Jake Nicklaus never imagined he’d cross the line and fall in love with the woman he swore he’d watch over. If only he’d died on that chopper instead of her husband, she wouldn’t be hurting. The only way to heal her heart is to show her how to live again. Finding the magic in Christmas is the perfect way to start.

Will one kiss under the mistletoe change their lives forever?
My review:

I enjoyed this book a lot.  I started reading it during the holidays.  Needless to say, I'm a little late finishing it.  Trying to sale a house and move has put a damper on my reading appetite.  The story centered around two main characters, Emma and Jake.  Emma's husband, a military man, loses his life in the line of duty.  Jake is the man that her late husband sends to watch and protect Emma as she deals with the grief of her husband's passing. I hate to add too much information.  I fear I will give the book away and add to many spoilers.  I will say that it's a great read and is especially grand during the holidays.  Emma finds her own savior and sexy Santa in Jake Nicklaus.  Who wouldn't love a sexy man in a red suit?

It gives insight into the hardships and grief involved in losing someone in the service.  This hit home for me because I once had a close friend that lost her husband overseas.  We both had husbands serving at the time and my husband had just returned home from Iraq only weeks before I got an email from my friend saying she had received the news of her husband's death.  Talking with her and listening to her over the months to come, were heartwrenching on so many levels as she dealt with the grief of moving on without him.  Sadly, we lost touch over the years.  Distance sometimes will do that to friendships but before we lost touch, I was gratified in knowing she was once again doing well.  This book shows you the insides of those emotions and allows you to feel the rawness of them but it also shows that eventually a light will once again shine and life will move on. I discovered this book on a free promo day through Pixel of Ink and I'm glad I felt the pull to give it a try. 


Amazon Link:

1 comment:

  1. I want to put this on my TBR list just because of the guy on the cover. ;) I am a new follower to your blog. Look forward to reading. Will you follow me back at sychofaeriesbookobsession.blogspot.com Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors