Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Inescapable by Nancy Mehl

Inescapable
Author: Nancy Mehl
Reviewed by: Sabrina
Rating: ****


This link is clickable





I was super excited to get this book as my first for review through Bethany House.  I'm like a kid in a candy shop anytime I get a new book in the mail and it makes it even better if the book is exactly like you picture it to be. 

The Blurb: Page-Turning Romantic Suspense Set Against the Backdrop of a Small Mennonite Town Lizzie Engel is used to running away. At eighteen, she left her Mennonite hometown, her family, and her faith with plans never to return. Five years later, Lizzie finds she'll have to run again. False accusations at her job, a stalker, and a string of anonymous threatening letters have left her with no other options. This time, however, her escape is back to Kingdom, her hometown.

As Lizzie becomes reacquainted with Kingdom, she realizes she may not have left her Mennonite roots and her faith as firmly in the past as she thought. She draws on the support of Noah Housler, an old friend, as she hides out and attempts to plan her next steps.

When it becomes painfully clear that the danger has followed Lizzie to Kingdom, suspicions and tensions run high, and she no longer knows who to trust. With her life and the lives of those she loves at risk, Lizzie will have to run one last time--to a Father whose love is inescapable.

The Pros:  Nancy Mehl is an author that knows how to write.  Her writing is so detailed and descriptive but not in a way that makes the story boring.  It adds enough to keep you moving forward and keeps you in the dark long enough to figure out what might happen next.  That's always a plus when it comes to a good mystery. 

I love it when I can identify with a character.  I picture the story as I read.  It feels like I'm watching a movie, only in my head.  To be able to read something and picture it with extreme clarity is what makes an author stand out and the characters too.

I was able to identify fully with Lizzie Engel.  With children of my own, I can fully understand the need to protect your child even if that means running away to do so.  I realize that running from false allegations of her stealing from her job is not necessarily the right thing to do, but I can fully understand why her character did so.  It did not make her weak.  It made her human and I like that about Lizzie.  Lizzie is afraid of returning to her tyrant father but she is strong enough to hold her ground.  She's a character that any mother or woman in my opinion would be proud of. 

Noah Housler is my other favorite.  He, of course, is the hero of the story.  The Prince Phillip as Lizzie's daughter dubs him.  Handsome, smart, courageous, caring....what is there not to like about him?  He's in love with Lizzie and Lizzie has to decide between Noah and the father of her child.  That was an easy decision for me from the get go but I'll let the readers enjoy and make decisions for themself.

There are other characters in the book such as Lizzie's parents, Cora, Clay, Avery, etc. but I'd be here all day if I were to list each one individually and list my likes and dislikes of each one. They are all characters that need to exist to make the story whole.  They represent Kingdom and the residents that live there.

The Cons:  Really honestly, the book was so well written I can't say that there were very many cons to this book.  There were some slow moments but they pretty much needed to exist for you to play detective.  Most mysteries and suspenses need those moments to exist in my opinion for the reader to figure out the next clue.  Kind of reminds me of a roller coaster ride.  You have to build the momentum slowly to make the quick drop to a spectacular finale. 

All in All: This is a must read.  I can honestly say that it's a book that entertained.  I will defenitely look for more titles by this author. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Contributors